Accredited Level 5 Diploma Autism Awareness for Managers & Practitioners
1. Course Overview
Successful completion of this course will certify you as an Autism Awareness Practitioner.
This CPD Accredited Level 5 Diploma course has been designed with in-depth consultation with families and individuals on the Autistic Spectrum. It is cutting edge and based on best practice guidelines and can be delivered within either a taught or distance learning environment (DL).
Full tutor support is given throughout the course if the DL option is selected, and it is anticipated that the course will take approximately 6-12 months to complete.
The Postitive Psychology Guild (PPG) partners with many organisations on autism research, and has launched the UK Autism Centre. The centre has an open collaboration and co-production ethos, and welcomes discussion and partnership with other Organisations and Individuals.
This course is designed for people who wish to gain a practical understanding of Autism Awareness and how to integrate this knowledge into a professional role.
Students and graduates of this course will have a personal and/or professional interest in this topic. They are often working in the field of autism already and/or have a lived experience of autism (e.g. being an autistic individual, having an autistic child).
Our Course Tutors
This course is delivered by people who are passionate about Autism.
All of our tutors are either autistic or have a strong connection with autism (e.g. family member, working with autistic individuals). They are there to help empower you to learn and give you autonomy over your own learning process whilst supporting you through each stage of the process.
Course Delivery & Timeline
This course is delivered online by the Positive Psychology Academy.
The Academy is a virtual learning environment where you will access your course materials and if you wish, connect with other students in a virtual Neurodiversity & Inclusion group.
The course is delivered through a combination of self-paced studies with tutor support. You will study the course materials in your own time then meet with your tutor via Zoom to develop your assignments.
You will complete your qualification training within 12 months. Your course access is valid for 24 months in total.
This is a level 5-ranked qualification.
Level 5 is equivalent to a foundation degree in the UK and means you will be expected to produce written academic and professional assignments at an undergraduate level.
You must hold a level 4 qualification or above (or the equivalent, e.g. A-levels plus relevant work experience) and be willing to engage in level 5 studies that are delivered through a blend of online learning and self-paced studies. One-to-one tutor support is provided.
You will also have a background or strong interest in Autism Awareness in the workplace by way of lived experience and/or subject matter interest.
We welcome both mature students and people with different learning needs. Our tutors are trained to lend additional support in this regard. If you do not have an academic background or you require special learning assistance, please contact us for further information at: email@example.com
2. Course Outline
Level 5 Diploma Autism Awareness for Managers & Practitioners
This course is delivered over 5 units. You will complete one assignment for each unit.
Unit 1: Understanding Autism
- How autism has come to be defined and diagnosed
- An exploration of common difficulties often faced by people with autism
- An exploration of strengths and unique attributes of people with autism
- Exploring common stereotypes about people on the autism spectrum
- Creating positive and enabling work environments for people on the autism spectrum
Unit 2: Autism & Communication
- Psychology of language development and positive communications
- An exploration of variations in use of language and communication in autism
- Exploring factors that can facilitate (successful) communication at work
- Responding to the natural communication preferences of people on the autism spectrum at work
Unit 3: Autism & Sensory Experience
- Psychology of information processing and how to identify your own preferences
- Understanding differences in how people on the autism spectrum experience and process information
- Identifying the impact of sensory differences on every day life for people on the autism spectrum
- Recognising and responding to sensory needs of people on the autism spectrum at work
Unit 4: Autism & Anxiety / Stress
- Exploring the impact of stress for those on the Autistic Spectrum
- Understanding how stress, anxiety, and wellbeing are experienced by autistic people
- Identifying mechanisms to reduce the impact of the stress and anxiety experienced by autistic people
- Collaborative design of coping strategies – working with Autistic people
Unit 5: Support Strategies
- Exploring family and organisational dynamics, and impact on the families, teams and organisations where there are members on the autism spectrum
- Identifying support needs and strategies required by people on the autism spectrum
- How to plan and respond to the changing support needs of families that include members on the autism spectrum as a long term – lifelong process
This certificate is accredited by the Positive Psychology Guild (PPG) and CPD Group. PPG is a Not for Profit Organisation and a government registered learning provider with a UK Provider Reference Number: 10067939.
On successful completion of your diploma, you will receive a certificate stating that you hold a Level 5 Diploma in Autism Awareness for Managers & Practitioners. You may refer to yourself as an Autism Awareness Practitioner (PPGDip) and be invited to follow a set of Professional Guidelines on this (view here).
4. Next Steps
Entry to this course is open several times a year.
Upcoming enrolment dates are:
- 26th January 2023
- 23 February 2023
- 30 March 2023
- 27 April 2023
- 25 May 2023
Our team members are available to answer questions on the course and guide you through the application process.
For further information, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
The certificate qualification fee is £1,650 (March 2022+ fees). This includes:
- Access to the Positive Psychology Academy
- Access to self-paced study materials
- Tutoring, tutor feedback, and assessments
- Certification on successful completion of the course
Payment options for individual learners include:
- Single payment during enrolment with a £100 discount (£1,550)
- PPG Payment Plan with a deposit of £450 and 12 x monthly instalments of £100 (Option 1)
- PPG Payment Plan with a deposit of £450 and 6 x monthly instalments of £200 (Option 2)
This course is also available on request for organisational delivery.
Our Autism Centre team also delivers individual training sessions on autism awareness.
If you would like to learn more about organisational training options and rates, please contact us at: email@example.com
Would you like to qualify as a Level 3 Neurodiversity & Inclusion Trainer (£1450) and a Level 5 Autism Awareness Practitioner (£1650)?
If you do, we offer a joint certification route for a combined payment of £2450.
You will begin your studies with the Level 3 Certificate in Neurodiversity & Inclusion (Train the Trainer). On completion of this, you will qualify as a Neurodiversity & Inclusion Trainer and may start (or continue) your professional practice in this domain. This part of your studies should take 3-6 months.
You will then continue onto an accelerated version of the Level 5 Diploma in Autism Awareness for Managers & Practitioners. On competition of this, you will qualify as an Autism Awareness Practitioner and may start (or continue) your practice in this domain. This part of your studies should take 6-12 months.
Personal payment plan options are available (deposit = £850, monthly instalments = 16 x £100 or 8 x £200).
For further information, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
This course is delivered by the Positive Psychology Academy in partnership with our Positive Psychology Autism Centre. For further information on the Autism Centre, please visit its website here.