Accredited Level 5 Diploma in Autism Research, Theory & Practice for Managers & Practitioners (Strengths-Based Autism Approaches including Awareness & Acceptance of Autism & Neurodiversity)
1. Course Overview
Successful completion of this course will certify you as a Strengths-Based Autism Practitioner.
This CPD Accredited Level 5 Diploma course has been designed with in-depth consultation with families and individuals on the Autism Spectrum. It is cutting edge and based on best practice guidelines..
The course is self-paced with guided learning materials and taught components, and is designed to be completed in 12 months or less. Full tutor support is given throughout.
The Postitive Psychology Guild (PPG) partners with many organisations on autism research, and has launched the UK Autism Centre. The centre has an open collaboration and co-production ethos, and welcomes discussion and partnership with other Organisations and Individuals.
This course is designed for people who wish to gain a practical, theoretical, and research-based understanding of Autism and how to integrate this knowledge into a professional role using person-centred/led and strengths-based approaches.
Students and graduates of this course will have a personal and/or professional interest in this topic. They are often working in the field of autism already and/or have a lived experience of autism (e.g. an individual with autism, having a child with autism).
Our Course Tutors
This course is delivered by people who are passionate about Autism.
All of our tutors are either autistic or have a strong connection with autism (e.g. family member, working with individuals with autism). They are there to help empower you to learn and give you autonomy over your own learning process whilst supporting you through each stage of the process.
Course Delivery & Timeline
This course is delivered online by the Positive Psychology Academy.
The Academy is a virtual learning environment where you will access your course materials and if you wish, connect with other students in a virtual Neurodiversity & Inclusion group.
The course is delivered through a combination of self-paced studies with tutor support. You will study the course materials in your own time then meet with your tutor via Zoom to develop your assignments.
You will complete your qualification training within 12 months. Your course access is valid for 24 months in total.
This is a level 5-ranked qualification.
Level 5 is equivalent to a foundation degree in the UK and means you will be expected to produce written academic and professional assignments at an undergraduate level.
You must hold a level 4 qualification or above (or the equivalent, e.g. A-levels plus relevant work experience) and be willing to engage in level 5 studies that are delivered through a blend of online learning and self-paced studies. One-to-one tutor support is provided.
You will also have a background or strong interest in Autism in the workplace by way of lived experience and/or subject matter interest.
We welcome both mature students and people with different learning needs. Our tutors are trained to lend additional support in this regard. If you do not have an academic background or you require special learning assistance, please contact us for further information at: email@example.com
2. Course Outline
Level 5 Diploma in Autism Research, Theory & Practice for Managers & Practitioners
This course is delivered over 5 units. You will complete one assignment for each unit.
Unit 1: Understanding Autism
- How autism has come to be defined and diagnosed
- An exploration of common difficulties often faced by individuals with autism
- An exploration of strengths and unique attributes of individuals with autism
- Exploring common stereotypes about individuals on the autism spectrum
- Creating positive and enabling work environments for people on the autism spectrum
Unit 2: Autism & Communication
- Psychology of language development and positive communications
- An exploration of variations in use of language and communication in autism
- Exploring factors that can facilitate (successful) communication at work
- Responding to the natural communication preferences of individuals on the autism spectrum at work
Unit 3: Autism & Sensory Experience
- Psychology of information processing and how to identify your own preferences
- Understanding differences in how individuals on the autism spectrum experience and process information
- Identifying the impact of sensory differences on every day life for individuals on the autism spectrum
- Recognising and responding to sensory needs of individuals on the autism spectrum at work
Unit 4: Autism & Anxiety / Stress
- Exploring the impact of stress for individuals on the autism spectrum
- Understanding how stress, anxiety, and wellbeing are experienced by individuals with autism
- Identifying mechanisms to reduce the impact of the stress and anxiety experienced by individuals with autism
- Collaborative design of coping strategies – supporting and working with individuals with autism
Unit 5: Support Strategies
- Exploring family and organisational dynamics, and impact on the families, teams and organisations where there are members on the autism spectrum
- Identifying support needs and strategies required by individuals on the autism spectrum
- How to plan and respond to the changing support needs of families that include members on the autism spectrum as a long term – lifelong process
This certificate is accredited by the Positive Psychology Guild (PPG) and CPD Group. PPG is a Not for Profit Organisation and a government registered learning provider with a UK Provider Reference Number: 10067939.
On successful completion of your diploma, you will receive a certificate stating that you hold a Level 5 Diploma in Autism Awareness for Managers & Practitioners. You may refer to yourself as a Strengths-Based Autism Practitioner (PPGDip) and will follow a set of Professional Guidelines.
4. Next Steps
Entry to this course is open several times a year.
Upcoming enrolment dates are:
- Tuesday 30th January 2024 (Group Induction via Zoom same day from 6pm-7.30pm UK / Application Deadline: Friday 12th January 2024)*
- Tuesday 26th March 2024 (Group Induction via Zoom same day from 6pm-7.30pm UK / Application Deadline: Friday 8th March 2024)*
*Please note you must attend the group induction in order to receive access to your course learning materials. After this, you will progress to self-paced learning with course learning materials provided through our online Academy. You will then meet with your tutor in group calls to discuss your learning and assignments.
Please see the above application deadlines. Following submission of your application, please allow up to 2 weeks for a response.
Our team members are available to answer questions on the course and guide you through the application process. For further information, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
The certificate qualification fee is £1,650 (September 2023+ fees) plus VAT = £1980.
The course fee includes:
- Access to the Positive Psychology Academy
- Access to guided learning materials (self-paced)
- Tutoring, tutor feedback, and assessments
- Certification on successful completion of the course
Payment options for individual learners include:
- Single payment during enrolment with a £100 discount (£1,550 plus VAT = £1860)
- PPG Payment Plan – deposit (£450 plus VAT = £540) and 12 monthly instalments (£100 plus VAT = £120 x 12)
- PPG Payment Plan – deposit (£450 plus VAT = £540) and 6 monthly instalments (£200 plus VAT = £240 x 6)
This course is also available on request for organisational delivery.
Our Autism Centre team also delivers individual training sessions on autism awareness.
If you would like to learn more about organisational training options and rates, please contact us at: email@example.com
Would you like to qualify as a Level 3 Neurodiversity & Inclusion Trainer and a Level 5 Strengths-Based Autism Practitioner?
If you do, we offer a joint certification route for a combined payment of £2450 plus VAT = £2940.
You will begin your studies with the Level 3 Certificate in Neurodiversity & Inclusion (Train the Trainer). On completion of this, you will qualify as a Neurodiversity & Inclusion Trainer and may start (or continue) your professional practice in this domain. This part of your studies should take 3-6 months.
You will then continue onto an accelerated version of the Level 5 Diploma in Autism Research, Theory & Practice for Managers & Practitioners. On competition of this, you will qualify as a Strengths-Based Autism Practitioner and may start (or continue) your practice in this domain. This part of your studies should take 6-12 months.
Payment plan options include:
- PPG Payment Plan 1 – deposit (£850 plus VAT = £1020) and 16 monthly instalments (£100 plus VAT = £120 x 16)
- PPG Payment Plan 2 – deposit (£850 plus VAT = £1020) and 8 monthly instalments (£200 plus VAT = £240 x 8)
For further information, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
This course is delivered by the Positive Psychology Academy in partnership with our Positive Psychology Autism Centre. For further information on the Autism Centre, please visit its website here.