Accredited Level 5 Diploma: Autism Awareness Course for Managers & Practitioners
1. Course Outline
This CPD Accredited Level 5 Diploma course has been designed with in-depth consultation with families and individuals on the Autistic Spectrum. It is cutting edge and based on best practice guidelines and can be delivered within either a taught or distance learning environment (DL).
Full tutor support is given throughout the course if the DL option is selected, and it is anticipated that the course will take approximately 6-9 months to complete. PPG partners with many organisations on autism research, and has launched the UK Autism Centre. The centre has an open collaboration and co-production ethos, and welcomes discussion and partnership with other Organisations and Individuals.
Unit 1: Understanding Autism
- In-depth study and critical analysis of how autism has come to be defined and diagnosed
- An exploration of common difficulties often faced by people with autism
- An appreciative Inquiry into some of the strengths and unique attributes of people with autism
- Exploring common stereotypes about people on the autism spectrum
- Creating positive and enabling environments for people on the autism spectrum.
Unit 2: Autism & Communication
- Explore and discuss language and communication use and reflect on your own communication style
- In-depth understanding of variations in use of language and communication in autism
- Explore and identify factors that can impact on (successful) communication
- Recognise and respond to the natural communication preferences of people on the autism spectrum.
Unit 3: Autism & Sensory Experience
- Describe and discuss how people process information and how to identify your own preferences
- Understand differences in how people on the autism spectrum experience and process information
- Identify the impact of sensory differences on every day life for people on the autism spectrum
- Recognise and respond to sensory needs of people on the autism spectrum.
Unit 4: Autism & Anxiety / Stress
- Explore the concept and impact of stress for those on the Autistic Spectrum
- Develop and understanding of how stress and anxiety are experienced by autistic people
- Identify mechanisms to reduce the impact of the stress and anxiety experienced by autistic people
- Collaborative design of coping strategies – working with Autistic people
Unit 5: Support Strategies
- Explore the family dynamic and impact on the families, teams and organisations where there are members on the autism spectrum
- Identify support needs and strategies required by people on the autism spectrum
- How to plan and respond to the changing support needs of families that include members on the autism spectrum as a long term – lifelong process
Please note that this is a level 5-ranked qualification.
This is equivalent to a foundation degree in the UK and means you will be expected to produce written academic and professional assignments at an undergraduate level.
You must hold a level 4 qualification or above (or the equivalent, e.g. A-levels plus relevant work experience) and be willing to engage in level 5 studies that are delivered through a blend of online learning and self-paced studies. One-to-one tutor support is provided.
You will also have a background or strong interest in Autism Awareness in the workplace by way of lived experience and/or subject matter interest.
We welcome both mature students and people with different learning needs. Our tutors are trained to lend additional support in this regard. If you do not have an academic background or you require special learning assistance, please contact us for further information at: email@example.com
Depending on the pace of studies you set yourself, you may complete your diploma within 6-12 months.
If you are working towards a 6-month timeline, you will meet with your tutor on a monthly basis. If you are working towards a 12-month timeline, you will meet with your tutor on a bi-monthly basis. Your tutor calls will address unit learning points and assignment planning and progress. You will work on your respective unit assignment in between each tutor call and may email your draft assignments for further discussion and feedback prior to submission.
If you need to pause your studies for personal or professional reasons, it is possible to so. For example, you may be going through a busy period at work or your family may need to come first for a while. Should this happen, your revised timeline for studies may be discussed with your tutor.
The maximum period for completing your diploma is 1 year from the date of enrolment. Should you wish to continue after this period, a formal request will need to be submitted and an extension fee may apply.
This certificate is accredited by the Positive Psychology Guild (PPG) and CPD Group. PPG is a Not for Profit Organisation and a government registered learning provider with a UK Provider Reference Number: 10067939.
On successful completion of your diploma, you will receive a certificate stating that you hold a Level 5 Diploma in Autism Awareness for Managers & Practitioners. You may refer to yourself as an Autism Awareness Practitioner (PPGDip) and be invited to follow a set of Professional Guidelines on this (view here).
Please note that this course is academically rigorous and gives graduates a scientific and practical understanding of this exciting discipline. It is also a professional course with scope for applications in the real world. It will prepare you for practice and (if you wish) further academic work.
3. Course Costs
The diploma qualification fee is £1650. This includes:
- Access to the Positive Psychology Academy
- Access to self-paced interactive study material
- 5 x 1:1 tutor calls via Zoom to support your learning
- Tutor email support for assignment feedback
- Access to upcoming open webinar lectures (also recorded)*
- Access to past open webinar lecture recordings*
- Assessments for all unit assignments
*These webinar lectures cover topics on Positive Psychology as well as Autism & Neurodiversity. They offer a way to connect live with our lecturers and other Academy students. They contain content that is supplementary to your course (i.e. not part of your assessment) and are included at no extra charge.
The course fee payable in full at the start of the course or through a zero interest personal payment plan with a deposit of £450 and subsequent monthly installments (Option 1: 12 x £100 or Option 2: 6 x £200).
This course may also be studied as individual CPD units costing £330 each.
You may enrol in this course at various points throughout the year.
Upcoming enrolments dates include:
- 28th October 2021
- 25th November 2021
- 29th January 2022
You will receive access to your course material on the enrolment date. Your tutor calls to support your progress through each unit will be booked on a monthly or bi-monthly basis, depending on your learning pace.
Application deadlines are 2 weeks prior to the enrolment date.
- Course fee (or deposit) payments must be completed 1 week prior to enrolment.
- Spaces are limited so we recommend applying early to secure your place.
- Enrolment dates may be subject to change.
If you require further information, or to request a course application form, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
This course is delivered by the Positive Psychology Academy in partnership with our Positive Psychology Autism Centre. For further information on the Autism Centre, please visit its website here.